A serious motorcycle accident can leave you with life altering injuries, if you have experienced a motorcycle accident, call an experienced personal injury attorney at Teston & Burruss today. Insurance companies make it very difficult for accident victims to receive the full compensation they deserve. They hire defense lawyers to minimize your compensation award, we at Teston & Burruss work equally hard to maximize the compensation you deserve.
Why Should I Contact a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident speaking with an experienced Gainesville motorcycle accident lawyer should be the first step after the accident. Teston & Burruss lawyers have years of experience covering such cases and helping affected win their claims. Since motorcycles provide very little protection to their riders, the injuries sustained can be life-altering. These injuries are much worse than those suffered in a car accident. Our Motorcycle accident lawyers handle all types of injuries including:
- Lost limbs
- Brain Injuries
- Back Injuries
- Chest Injuries
- Broken bones
- Burns and road rash
- Spinal cord injuries
- Lost limbs
If the accident wasn’t your fault, you shouldn’t bear the brunt while the other party walks away scot free. Our lawyers will give their 100% to make sure they hold the other party accountable and get maximum compensation for you.
State laws always limit the time you have to file for personal injury or death claims, you don’t have forever to file a claim. Acting fast can help use the remaining time to gather evidence and build a proper case for you. Hiring an attorney after an accident puts someone in your corner who knows your state’s laws and the tricks insurance companies may try to play. If you were injured in a crash, our attorney can explain your options for pursuing compensation for medical bills and other losses. If you contact an attorney immediately after the accident, he or she can begin to collect information and evidence to support your claim for compensation. To help build your claim, your attorney may:
- Collect scene and police reports
- Gather witness statements
- Investigate the other motorist’s driving history
- Photograph the scene
- Reconstruct the accident scene
- Recreate the accident
- Review medical records
- Contact insurance companies on your behalf
Why Teston & Burruss?
Our motorcycle accident attorneys have a successful track record of giving results in recovering compensation for the victims. They are familiar with all the laws governing motorcycle accidents, they have the contacts and the skills needed to help. Some attorneys will settle for less but not us; we will fight till the last minute to get you the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Motorcycle Accident Injury Claims
Motorcycle accidents are life-changing experiences. They are emotionally and financially draining. The crash itself is only the beginning of what can be an extremely long process of filing an insurance claim, determining fault, and getting the closure one needs to move on with their life. You don’t have to go through this alone.
If the accident was no fault of yours, you can claim for losses from the negligent party’s insurance company. Individuals are required to have motorcycle insurance to operate a motorcycle legally in Georgia and they have the same insurance requirements as other registered motor vehicles in the state. Liability insurance does not protect the motorcyclist after a motorcycle accident. Motor vehicle accident claims also involve PIP insurance—which requires the injured party to pass an “injury threshold” to be able to pursue compensation from the negligent party—and do not allow for the recovery of pain and suffering damages. Motorcyclists do not have to pass an injury threshold to seek compensation for damages, which may include medical costs, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
An attorney reaches out to the negligent parties’ insurance company after an accident to negotiate the compensation. If these negotiations don’t bear fruit, then the attorney moves forwards and files legal action against the negligent party.
In some cases, there might be a defect in the motorcycle or it’s parts. In these circumstances your attorney will conduct a probe to ascertain whether the vehicle had any defects prior to the accident. He along with other forensic experts will help determine the actual cause of the accident. In case a faulty vehicle or parts that could have caused the accident are proved then a lawsuit is filed against the manufacturer of the motorcycle or its parts to recover compensation for the affected party. The investigation helps determine whether:
- The defective motorcycle or part was “unreasonably dangerous”
- The motorcycle was being operated as intended
- The motorcycle’s performance had not changed since its initial purchase
Defective tires, brakes or faulty fuel systems are examples of some motorcycle defects that may help you put forward a claim.
Fatal Motorcycle Accident
If you lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident, you could put forward a claim for compensation for wrongful death with the help of one of our attorneys.
What Compensation Can Be Recovered?
The attorneys in our office may be able to help you recover compensation for the following in case of an accidents:
- Past and Future Medical Expenses: Victims can file to receive compensation for emergency visits, hospital care, surgery etc. if the injuries were directly related to the accident.
- Lost Wages: Motorcycle accident victims can claim compensation for wages they could have earned if the accidents hadn’t taken place. Victims can recover compensation for the period of time they had to be away from work to recover.
- Pain and Suffering: As motorcyclists may not be offered PIP insurance, they may file a lawsuit to claim compensation to combat their pain and suffering after the accident. To determine whether the victim requires compensation, factors such as the nature of the injury, along with the duration and extent of pain, will be considered.
- Mental Anguish: Victims and families may also be provided compensation for the emotional pain they had to face after the incident. Emotional suffering includes feelings of fright, embarrassment, nervousness, worry, and grief.
- Loss of Consortium: The surviving spouse may be awarded compensation for the loss of services, assistance, aid, society, and companionship of his or her loved one in the case of a wrongful death caused by a motorcycle accident. Surviving parents may be awarded compensation for.
Common causes for motorcycle accidents
- Swerving in front of a cyclist
- Cutting off motorcyclists at intersections
- Failure to follow posted speed limits
- Failure to yield when appropriate
- Failure to leave sufficient room between vehicles
- Failure to see a motorcyclist changing or entering lanes
- Neglecting to pay appropriate attention to other drivers
- Driving under the influence
These crashes may also be caused by motor vehicles drivers who do not exercise proper care when making left-hand turns at intersections. Left-turn accidents are commonly caused by drivers who:
- Misjudging the motorcyclist’s speed or distance
- Failure to see the motorcyclist
- Halting in the motorcyclist’s path
- Relying on the judgment of another driver, who also fails to see the motorcyclist